Tuesday, April 23, 2024

On Jordan's stormy banks I stand

523 Varina. C. M. D.

1 On Jordan's stormy banks I stand,
   And cast a wishful eye
   To Canaan's fair and happy land,
   Where my possessions lie.
   There gen'rous fruits that never fail,
   On trees immortal grow;
   There rocks and hills, and brooks and vales,
   With milk and honey flow.

2 All o'er those wide extended plains
   Shines one eternal day;
   There God the Son forever reigns,
   And scatters night away.
   No chilling winds, nor pois'nous breath
   Can reach that healthful shore;
   Sickness and sorrow, pain and death,
   Are felt and fear'd no more.

3 When shall I reach that happy place,
   I'll be forever blest?
   When shall I see my Father's face,
   And in his bosom rest?
   Fill'd with delight my raptur'd soul
   Would here no longer stay;
   Tho' Jordan's waves around me roll,
   Fearless I'd launch away.
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition
                         Samuel Stennett

<idle musing>
This popular hymn usually breaks the verses above into six verses instead of three. There is also another verse that is sometimes inserted:

2 O the transporting rapt'rous scene,
   That rises to my sight!
   Sweet fields array'd in living green,
   And rivers of delight!
  
The 1987 Methodist Hymnal also ends each verse with a chorus:
Refrain:
   I am bound for the promised land,
   I am bound for the promised land;
   oh, who will come and go with me?
   I am bound for the promised land.
His bio (linked above) contains this statement, which although probably true isn't exactly what I would hope any bio of me would say if I were a hymnwriter!
His poetical genius was not of the highest order, and his best hymns have neither the originality nor the vigour of some of his grandfather's. The following, however, are pleasing in sentiment and expression, and are in common use more especially in Baptist congregations (a list of hymns follows)
</idle musing>

No comments: