Tuesday, July 11, 2006

A couple of "kid's" books

Ever notice how there is a shortage of good introductory books on the ancient Near East for kids? They seem to either be too elementary or else college level. Well, I have a new Oxford University Press sales rep and he mentioned that Oxford had some aimed at middle school to high school. I was skeptical, but told him to send me two different ones to look at.

I am skeptical no longer. The Pocket Timeline of Ancient Mesopotamia is really nice. The chart folds out to about 4 feet (they say 12 pages) and is full color with 32 pages of accompanying text. There is a whole series of them. Even though I have only seen this one, I assume they are all of the same high quality. Here are the others:

  • Pocket Timeline of Ancient Egypt

  • Pocket Timeline of Ancient Greece

  • Pocket Timeline of Ancient Rome


  • And, he sent me another one, The Ancient Near Eastern World, 176 pages long with full color pictures. There are three other ones in that series, also:

  • The Ancient Egyptian World

  • The Ancient Greek World

  • The Ancient Roman World


  • So, if you are looking for some good introductions for your kids/grandkids, these series seem to fit the bill very nicely.

    1 comment:

    Dr. Joseph Ray Cathey said...

    James,

    This is very interesting. I think I may be getting some of these for my two kids. Thanks for the heads up.

    Best
    Joe