Monday, April 26, 2010

Signs of Spring

Most would say that the blooms and blossoms are signs of spring. I have different take; here's a picture of our canning shelf.


So many empty jars means spring is here!

While I'm at it, I made brick cheese over the weekend. We'll see it it took in about 2 weeks. Meantime, it is (hopefully) incubating in this makeshift humidity box (bottom shelf on the left):



Every day I have to wipe it down with a brine mixture to keep the bad bacteria from growing. And, we opened the next 1/2 pound of cheddar yesterday; it was even better after another week of aging.

Cheese making tip of the week: Always clean up with cold water. Hot water sets the curd and makes it virtually impossible to get out! You heard it here :)

1 comment:

Steve Wiggins said...

Blessed are the cheesemakers! Your post made me homesick for Wisconsin, and that's hard to do. I've never known anyone to make their own cheese before.