Tuesday, August 01, 2023

An evening hymn

51 Tallis' Canon (Evening Hymn). L. M.

1 All praise to You, my God, this night,
   For all the blessings of the light.
   Keep me, O keep me, King of kings,
   Beneath the shelter of Your wings.

2 Forgive me, Lord, for this I pray,
   The wrong that I have done this day.
   May peace with God and neighbor be,
   Before I sleep restored to me.

3 Lord, may I be at rest in You
   And sweetly sleep the whole night thro'.
   Refresh my strength, for Your own sake,
   So I may serve You when I wake.

4 Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
   Praise Him all creatures here below;
   Praise Him above, ye heav'nly host;
   Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
                         Thomas Ken
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
This is the evening hymn in Ken's trilogy. On July 29th I published his morning hymn. I wonder if the third in the trilogy is in this hymnal … checks author index … nope.
</idle musing>

No comments: