Friday, August 11, 2023

I'll drop my burden at his feet, and bear a song away

69 Dennis. S. M.

1 How gentle God’s commands!
   How kind His precepts are!
   Come, cast your burdens on the Lord,
   And trust His constant care.

2 While Providence supports,
   Let saints securely dwell;
   That hand which bears all nature up
   Shall guard His children well.

3 Why should this anxious load
   Press down your weary mind?
   Haste to your heavenly Father’s throne,
   And sweet refreshment find.

4 His goodness stands approved,
   Down to the present day:
   I’ll drop my burden at His feet,
   And bear a song away.
                         Philip Doddridge
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
Doddridge knew a good bit about trouble, as his short bio shows. So when he writes lines like "I'll drop my burden at his feet, / and bear a song away," he knows of what he speaks. That being said, this hymn spoke to me today; it was just what I needed to hear.
</idle musing>

No comments: