Saturday, August 12, 2023

The Lord's my shepherd (hymn)

70 Martyrdom (Avon). C. M.

1 The LORD’s my Shepherd, I’ll not want.
   He makes me down to lie
   in pastures green; He leadeth me
   the quiet waters by.

2 My soul He doth restore again;
   and me to walk doth make
   within the paths of righteousness,
   e’en for his own name’s sake.

3 Yea, though I walk thro' death’s dark vale,
   yet will I fear no ill;
   for Thou art with me, and Thy rod
   and staff me comfort still.

4 My table Thou hast furnished
   in presence of my foes;
   my head Thou dost with oil anoint,
   and my cup overflows.

5 Goodness and mercy all my life
   shall surely follow me:
   and in God’s house forevermore
   my dwelling place shall be.
                         Scottish Psalter, 1650
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
Hymnary.org credits this to Francis Rous, who wrote a collection of hymns based on the Psalms.
</idle musing>

No comments: