Monday, September 23, 2024

In the Hour of Trial

237 In the Hour of Trial

1 In the hour of trial,
   Jesus, plead for me
   lest by base denial
   I unworthy be.
   When you see me waver,
   with a look recall,
   nor for fear or favor
   ever let me fall.

2 With forbidden pleasures
   should this vain world charm
   or its tempting treasures
   spread to work me harm,
   bring to my remembrance
   sad Gethsemane
   or, in darker semblance,
   cross-crowned Calvary.

3 Should your mercy send me
   sorrow, toil, and woe,
   or should pain attend me
   on my path below,
   grant that I may never
   fail your cross to view;
   grant that I may ever
   cast my care on you.

4 When my life is ending,
   though in grief or pain,
   when my body changes
   back to dust again,
   on your truth relying,
   through that mortal strife,
   Jesus, take me, dying,
   to eternal life.
                         James Montgomery
                         Alt. by Frances A. Hutton
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1964 edition

<idle musing>
I found this to be quite accurate and also humorous, from his bio at the link above:

In common with most poets and hymnwriters, Montgomery strongly objected to any correction or rearrangement of his compositions. At the same time he did not hesitate to alter, rearrange, and amend the productions of others.
And, of course, this one was altered—but we have no information about that person and this seems to be the only hymn they altered.
</idle musing>

No comments: