Sunday, September 01, 2024

Servant of all, to toil for man

186 Servant of all, to toil for man

1. Servant of all, to toil for man
   Thou didst not, Lord, refuse;
   Thy majesty did not disdain
   To be employed for us.

2. Son of the carpenter, receive
   This humble work of mine;
   Worth to my meanest labor give,
   By joining it to Thine.

3. End of my every action Thou,
   In all things Thee I see;
   Accept my hallowed labor now,
   I do it unto Thee.

4. Thy bright example I pursue,
   To Thee in all things rise;
   And all I think or speak or do
   Is one great sacrifice.

5. Careless through outward cares I go,
   From all distraction free;
   My hands are but engaged below,
   My heart is still with Thee.
                         Charles Wesley
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1964 edition

<idle musing>
I don't recall ever singing this Wesley hymn and it only occurs in a dozen hymnals. That's an amazingly low number for a Wesley hymn! Even Hymnary.org doesn't list any variants to it.
</idle musing>

No comments: