Friday, November 24, 2023

A closer walk

228 Naomi. C. M.

1 O for a closer walk with God,
   a calm and heav'nly frame,
   a light to shine upon the road
   that leads me to the Lamb!

2 Where is the blessedness I knew
   when first I sought the Lord?
   Where is the soul refreshing view
   of Jesus and His Word?

3 What peaceful hours I then enjoyed!
   How sweet their mem'ry still!
   But they have left an aching void
   the world can never fill.

4 Return, O holy Dove, return,
   sweet messenger of rest;
   I hate the sins that made Thee mourn,
   and drove Thee from my breast.

5 The dearest idol I have known,
   whate'er that idol be,
   help me to tear it from Thy throne
   and worship only Thee.

6 So shall my walk be close with God,
   calm and serene my frame;
   so purer light shall mark the road
   that leads me to the Lamb.
                         William Cowper
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

No comments: