Thursday, November 30, 2023

My Jesus I love thee

234 Gordon. 11. 11. 11. 11.

1 My Jesus, I love thee, I know thou art mine;
   for thee all the follies of sin I resign;
   my gracious Redeemer, my Savior art thou;
   if ever I loved thee, my Jesus, 'tis now.

2 I love thee because thou hast first loved me
   and purchased my pardon on Calvary's tree;
   I love thee for wearing the thorns on thy brow;
   if ever I loved thee, my Jesus, 'tis now.

3 In mansions of glory and endless delight,
   I'll ever adore thee in heaven so bright;
   I'll sing with the glittering crown on my brow:
   If ever I loved thee, my Jesus, 'tis now.
                         William R. Featherstone
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
I didn't learn this hymn until I heard it on Jamie Owens (Collins) second album Growing Pains. She sings it with all four verses, not just the three that the Methodist hymnal included. It quickly became a favorite of mine. Here's the verse that the hymnal excised:

3 I'll love thee in life, I will love thee in death,
   and praise thee as long as thou lendest me breath,
   and say when the deathdew lies cold on my brow:
   If ever I loved thee, my Jesus, 'tis now.
Hymnary.org has an interesting note that it is also attributed to a certain James H. Duffel, about whom we know almost nothing. This is the only hymn attributed to him, which is also true of Featherstone. </idle musing>

No comments: