Tuesday, November 14, 2023

I heard the voice of Jesus

210 Vox Dilecti. C. M. D. (First tune)
Truman. C. M. D. (Second tune)

1 I heard the voice of Jesus say,
   “Come unto Me and rest;
   lay down, thou weary one, lay down
   thy head upon My breast.”
   I came to Jesus as I was,
   so weary, worn, and sad;
   I found in Him a resting place,
   and He has made me glad.

2 I heard the voice of Jesus say,
   “Behold, I freely give
   the living water, thirsty one;
   stoop down, and drink, and live.”
   I came to Jesus, and I drank
   of that life-giving stream;
   my thirst was quenched, my soul revived,
   and now I live in Him.

3 I heard the voice of Jesus say,
   “I am this dark world’s Light;
   look unto Me, thy morn shall rise,
   and all thy day be bright.”
   I looked to Jesus, and I found
   in Him my Star, my Sun;
   and in that Light of life I’ll walk,
   till trav'ling days are done.
                         Horatius Bonar
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

No comments: