Sunday, November 26, 2023

I lay my sins on Jesus

230 St. Hilda. 7. 6. 7. 6. D.

1 I lay my sins on Jesus,
   the spotless Lamb of God;
   He bears them all, and frees us
   from the accursed load;
   I bring my guilt to Jesus,
   to wash my crimson stains
   white in His blood most precious,
   till not a spot remains.

2 I lay my wants on Jesus;
   all fullness dwells in Him;
   He heals all my diseases,
   He doth my soul redeem;
   I lay my griefs on Jesus,
   my burdens and my cares;
   He from them all releases,
   He all my sorrow shares.

3 I long to be like Jesus,
   meek, loving, lowly, mild;
   I long to be like Jesus,
   the Father's holy Child;
   I long to be with Jesus
   amid the heav'nly throng,
   to sing with saints His praises,
   to learn the angels' song
                         Horatius Bonar
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
Hymnary.org inserts a verse after verse 2:

3 I rest my soul on Jesus,
   this weary soul of mine;
   His right hand me embraces,
   I on His breast recline.
   I love the Name of Jesus,
   Immanuel, Christ, the Lord;
   like fragrance on the breezes
   His Name abroad is poured.
</idle musing>

No comments: