Wednesday, October 25, 2023

God calling!

185 Federal Street. L. M.

1 God calling yet! shall I not hear?
   Earth’s pleasures shall I still hold dear?
   Shall life’s swift passing years all fly,
   And still my soul in slumber lie?

2 God calling yet! Shall I not rise?
   Can I His loving voice despise,
   And basely His kind care repay?
   He calls me still; can I delay?

3 God calling yet! And shall I give
   No heed, but still in bondage live?
   I wait, but He does not forsake;
   He calls me still; my heart, awake!

4 God calling yet! I cannot stay;
   My heart I yield without delay;
   Vain world, farewell! From thee I part;
   The voice of God hath reached my heart.
                         Gerhard Tersteegen
                         Tr. by Jane Borthwick
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
Be sure to read the biography of Tersteegen. Sounds like a good person to know about. Here's an excerpt from the biography at the link above:

Tersteegen has more definiteness of teaching, a firmer grasp of the Christian verities, and a greater clearness in exposition. Inner union of the soul with God and Christ, the childlike simplicity and trust which this brings, renunciation of the world and of self, and daily endeavour to live as in the presence of God and in preparation for the vision of God, are the keynotes of his hymns. To his intense power of realising the unseen, his clear and simple diction, and the evident sincerity with which he sets forth his own Christian experience, his hymns owe much of their attractiveness and influence.
</idle musing>

No comments: