Saturday, October 21, 2023

Take my life and let it be…

225. Messiah. 7. 7. 7. 7. D.

1. Take my life, and let it be
   consecrated, Lord, to thee.
   Take my moments and my days;
   let them flow in ceaseless praise.
   Take my hands, and let them move
   at the impulse of thy love.
   Take my feet, and let them be
   swift and beautiful for thee.

2. Take my voice, and let me sing
   always, only, for my King.
   Take my lips, and let them be
   filled with messages from thee.
   Take my silver and my gold;
   not a mite would I withhold.
   Take my intellect, and use
   every power as thou shalt choose.

3. Take my will, and make it thine;
   it shall be no longer mine.
   Take my heart, it is thine own;
   it shall be thy royal throne.
   Take my love, my Lord, I pour
   at thy feet its treasure-store.
   Take myself, and I will be
   ever, only, all for thee.
                         Frances Havergal
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
I know that many hymnals break this down into six verses, with the final line of each verse being repeated. Even though I grew up with this hymnal, the version I remember best is the one with six verses. That's the version that Debbie and I sing and have memorized.

No matter which version you sing, it's a great hymn of consecration.
</idle musing>

No comments: