Monday, March 11, 2024

According to Thy gracious word

410 St. John's, Westminster. C. M.

1 According to Thy gracious word,
   In meek humility,
   This will I do, my dying Lord,
   I will remember Thee.

2 Thy body, broken for my sake,
   My bread from heaven shall be;
   Thy testamental cup I take,
   And thus remember Thee.

3 Remember Thee, and all Thy pains,
   And all Thy love to me;
   Yea, while a breath, a pulse remains,
   Will I remember Thee!

4 And when these falling lips grow dumb,
   And mind and memory flee,
   When Thou shalt in Thy Kingdom come,
   Then, Lord, remember me!
                         James Montgomery
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
This communion hymn is found in about 550 hymnals. It also experiences a bit of variation, with many hymnals only using three of the verses—but not all the same ones. Others contain a total of six verses. Cyberhymnal, as usual, has the fullest version:

3. Gethsemane can I forget?
   Or there Thy conflict see,
   Thine agony, and bloody sweat,
   And not remember Thee?

4. When to the cross I turn mine eyes,
   And rest on Calvary,
   O Lamb of God, my sacrifice,
   I must remember Thee;

</idle musing>

No comments: