Wednesday, March 06, 2024

Jesus! the name high over all

400 Gräfenberg. C. M.

1.Jesus! the name high over all,
   in hell or earth or sky;
   angels and mortals prostrate fall,
   and devils fear and fly.

2.Jesus! the name to sinners dear,
   the name to sinners given;
   it scatters all their guilty fear,
   it turns their hell to heaven.

3. O that the world might taste and see
   the riches of his grace!
   The arms of love that compass me
   would all the world embrace.

4. His only righteousness I show,
   his saving truth proclaim;
   'tis all my business here below
   to cry, "Behold the Lamb!"

5. Happy, if with my latest breath
   I may but gasp his name,
   preach him to all and cry in death,
   "Behold, behold the Lamb!"
                         Charles Wesley
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
Not one of Wesley's more popular hymns, only occurring in 295 hymnals. I don't recall ever singing it, but it was retained in the 1989 update. Interestingly, that update to the United Methodist Hymnal inserts a verse after our verse 3:

4. Thee I shall constantly proclaim,
   though earth and hell oppose;
   bold to confess thy glorious name
   before a world of foes.
</idle musing>

No comments: