Tuesday, March 19, 2024

We cannot think of them as dead

423 St. Flavian. C. M.

1. We cannot think of them as dead
   Who walk with us no more;
   Along the path of life we tread—
   They have but gone before.

2. The Father’s house is mansioned fair
   Beyond our vision dim;
   All souls are His, and here or there
   Are living unto Him.

3. And still their silent ministries
   Within our hearts have place,
   As when on earth they walked with us
   And met us face to face.

4. Ours are they by an ownership
   Nor time nor death can free;
   For God hath given love to keep
   Its own eternally.
                         Frederick L. Hosmer
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
When I was younger, I didn't pay too much attention to the idea of a communion of the saints who had gone before. But, as I get older and more and more of the people I knew have crossed the river or gone beyond the veil, or however you want to say that they aren't in this body anymore, having died, the more I am intrigued by it.

I don't recall ever having sung this hymn, but then, as I said, I didn't pay much attention to the idea of the communion of the saints who had gone before.
</idle musing>

No comments: