Wednesday, March 27, 2024

The voice of God is calling

454 Meirionydd. 7. .6 7. 6. D.

1 The voice of God is calling
   It summons unto men;
   as once he spake in Zion,
   so now he speaks again:
   whom shall I send to succor
   my people in their need?
   Whom shall I send to loosen
   the bonds of shame and greed?

2 I hear my people crying
   in cot and mine and slum;
   no field or mart is silent,
   no city street is dumb.
   I see my people falling
   in darkness and despair.
   Whom shall I send to shatter
   the fetters which they bear?

3 We heed, O Lord, thy summons,
   and answer: Here are we!
   Send us upon thine errand,
   let us thy servants be.
   Our strength is dust and ashes,
   our years a passing hour,
   But thou canst use our weakness
   to magnify thy power.

4 From ease and plenty save us;
   from pride of place absolve;
   purge us of low desire;
   lift us to high resolve;
   take us, and make us holy;
   teach us thy will and way.
   Speak, and behold! we answer;
   command, and we obey!
                         John Haynes Holmes
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
Not a terribly popular hymn, only occurring in 65 hymnals! But it is a good hymn in the finest social gospel way. Indeed, its author was a Unitarian, which is reflected in its general call as opposed to a specifically Jesus-centered call. Nonetheless, a solid hymn.
</idle musing>

No comments: