Wednesday, May 03, 2023

Awake!

729 1st P. M. 6 lines 8s.
Sober viigilance.

THIS slumber from my spirit shake.
   Warn’d by the Spirit’s inward call
   Let me to righteousness awake,
   And pray that I may never fall;
   Or give to sin or Satan place,
   But walk in all thy righteous ways.

2 O Wouldst thou, Lord, thy servant guard
   ’Gainst every known or secret foe;
   A mind for all assaults prepared,
   A sober vigilance bestow;
   Ever apprized of danger nigh,
   And when to fight and when to fly.

3 0 never suffer me to sleep
   Secure within the verge of hell;
   But still my watchful spirit keep
   In lowly awe and loving zeal;
   And bless me with a godly fear,
   And plant that guardian angel here.

4 Attended by that sacred dread,
   And wise from evil to depart,
   Let me from strength to strength proceed
   And rise to purity of heart:
   Through all the paths of duty move:
   From humble faith to perfect love.
                        Charles Wesley
                         Methodist Episcopal hymnal (1870 edition)

No comments: