Saturday, May 13, 2023

Trusting in the mercy of God

775 C. M.
Trusting in the mercy of God.

WHY, O my soul, O why depress’d
   And whence thine anxious fears?
   Let former mercies fix thy trust,
   And check thy rising tears.

2 Affliction is a stormy deep,
   Where wave succeeds to wave;
   Though o’er my head the billows sweep,
   I know the Lord can save.

3 His grace and mercy trust, my soul,
   Nor murmur at his rod:
   In vain the waves of trouble roll,
   While he is still thy God.
                        Colton
                         Methodist Episcopal hymnal (1870 edition)

<idle musing>
I haven't a clue who Colton is, and hymnary.org thinks it's Cotton, but I suspect that's just an OCR misreading of Colton. Either way, they have no information about the person.
</idle musing>

No comments: