Monday, May 08, 2023

Thou Lamb of God, thou Prince of peace

756 L. M.
Meekness and patience.

THOU Lamb of God, thou Prince of peace,
   For thee my thirsty soul doth pine;
   My longing heart implores thy grace;
   O make me in thy likeness shine.

2 With fraudless, even, humble mind,
   Thy will in all things may I see;
   In love be every wish resign’d,
   And hal1ow’d my whole heart to thee.

3 When pain o’er my weak flesh prevails,
   With lamb-like patience arm my breast;
   When grief my wounded soul assails,
   In lowly meekness may I rest.

4 Close by thy side still may I keep,
   Howe’er life’s various current flow;
   With steadfast eye mark every step,
   And follow where my Lord doth go.

5 Thou, Lord, the dreadful fight hast won;
   Alone thou hast the wine-press trod;
   In me thy strengthening grace be shown:
   O may I conquer through thy blood.

6 So, when on Zion thou shalt stand,
   And all heaven’s host adore their King,
   Shall I be found at thy right hand,
   And, free from pain, thy glories sing.
                   Christian Friedrich Richter, trans. John Wesley
                   Methodist Episcopal hymnal (1870 edition)

No comments: