Friday, December 22, 2023

Christian, dost thou see/feel/hear them?

275 St. Andrew of Crete (first tune). Greek Hymn (second tune) 6. 5. 6. 5. D.

1 Christian, dost thou see them
   On the holy ground,
   How the hosts of darkness
   Compass thee around?
   Christian, up and smite them,
   Counting gain but loss:
   Smite them by the merit
   Of the holy Cross!

2 Christian, dost thou feel them,
   How they work within,
   Striving, tempting, luring,
   Goading into sin?
   Christian, never tremble;
   Never be down-cast;
   Gird thee for the battle,
   Watch and pray and fast.

3 Christian, dost thou hear them
   How they speak thee fair;
   “Always fast and vigil?
   Always watch and prayer?”
   Christian, answer boldly:
   “While I breathe, I pray.”
   Peace shall follow battle,
   Night shall end in day.

4 “Well I know thy trouble,
   O my servant true;
   Thou art very weary,—
   I was weary too:
   But that toil shall make thee,
   Some day, all Mine own:
   But the end of sorrow
   Shall be near My Throne.”
                         Andrew of Crete 660–712
                         Tr. by John M. Neale
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
I don't recall ever singing this hymn (to either tune). It isn't real common, occurring in just over 300 hymnals.
</idle musing>

No comments: