Sunday, December 03, 2023

Softly and Tenderly

239 Softly and Tenderly. 7. 9. 7. 9. with Refrain.

1 Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling,
   Calling for you and for me;
   See, on the portals He's waiting and watching,
   Watching for you and for me.

Refrain:
   Come home, come home,
   Ye who are weary, come home;
   Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling -
   Calling, "O sinner, come home!"

2 Why should we tarry when Jesus is pleading,
   Pleading for you and for me?
   Why should we linger and heed not His mercies,
   Mercies for you and for me? [Refrain]

3 O for the wonderful love He has promised,
   Promised for you and for me;
   Though we have sinned He has mercy and pardon,
   Pardon for you and for me. [Refrain]
                         Will L. Thompson
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
Hymnary.org inserts a verse after verse 2:

3 Time is now fleeting, the moments are passing,
   Passing from you and from me;
   Shadows are gathering, deathbeds are coming,
   Coming for you and for me. [Refrain]
</idle musing>

No comments: