Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Pilot me!

269 Pilot. 7. 7. 7. 7. 7. 7.

1 Jesus, Savior, pilot me,
   Over life's tempestuous sea;
   Unknown waves before me roll,
   Hiding rocks and treach'rous shoal;
   Chart and compass come from Thee -
   Jesus, Savior, pilot me!

2 As a mother stills her child,
   Thou canst hush the ocean wild;
   Boist'rous waves obey Thy will
   When Thou sayest to them, "Be still!"
   Wondrous Sov'reign of the sea,
   Jesus, Savior, pilot me!

3 When at last I near the shore,
   And the fearful breakers roar
   'Twixt me and the peaceful rest -
   Then, while leaning on Thy breast,
   May I hear Thee say to me,
   "Fear not - I will pilot thee!"
                         Edward Hopper
                        The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
Well, after three hymns that didn't break 300, today's is much more popular (over 1000 hymnals), although I don't recall ever singing it.

As I was reading the lyrics, I suspected he might have some connection with sailing, and sure enough, he pastored a church in Long Island that was largely made up of seamen.

The Cyberhymnal inserts three verses, which definitely emphasize the sailing metaphor. (Remember, in the days of wooden ships, before steam power, radio/radar, and larger steel ships, sailing was an extremely dangerous occupation.)

2. While th’apostles’ fragile bark
   Struggled with the billows dark,
   On the stormy Galilee,
   Thou didst walk upon the sea;
   And when they beheld Thy form,
   Safe they glided through the storm.

3. Though the sea be smooth and bright,
   Sparkling with the stars of night,
   And my ship’s path be ablaze
   With the light of halcyon days,
   Still I know my need of Thee;
   Jesus, Savior, pilot me.

4. When the darkling heavens frown,
   And the wrathful winds come down,
   And the fierce waves, tossed on high,
   Lash themselves against the sky,
   Jesus, Savior, pilot me,
   Over life’s tempestuous sea.

If you happen to click through on the Cyberhymnal link, be sure to read the reflection on the hymn by Sankey!
>/idle musing>

No comments: