Saturday, December 23, 2023

Must Jesus bear the cross alone?

276 Maitland. C. M.

1 Must Jesus bear the cross alone,
   And all the world go free?
   No, there's a cross for every one,
   And there's a cross for me.

2 How happy now the saints of God,
   Who once went sorrowing here;
   They rest I joy, life's crown is theirs,
   They know no pain nor tear.

3 The consecrated cross I'll bear
   Till death shall set me free,
   And then go home my crown to wear,
   For there's a crown for me.
                         Thomas Shepherd
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
Hymnary.org omits the second verse and adds these two at the end:

3 Upon the crystal pavement, down
   At Jesus' pierced feet,
   Joyful, I'll cast my golden crown
   And His dear name repeat.

4 O precious cross! O glorious crown!
   O resurrection day!
   Ye angels, from the stars come down
   And bear my soul away.

They also have a wide variety of other verses. Go there and compare to your heart's content! Consider it an early Christmas present!
</idle musing>

No comments: