Friday, December 08, 2023

I love to tell the story

249 Hankey. 7. 6. 7. 6. with Refrain.

1 I love to tell the story
   Of unseen things above,
   Of Jesus and His glory,
   Of Jesus and His love.
   I love to tell the story,
   Because I know it's true;
   It satisfies my longings
   As nothing else would do.

Refrain:
   Tell me the old, old story,
   'Twill be my theme in glory
   To tell the old, old story,
   Of Jesus and His love.

2 I love to tell the story;
   More wonderful it seems
   Than all the golden fancies
   Of all our golden dreams.
   I love to tell the story:
   It did so much for me.
   And that is just the reason
   I tell it now to thee. [Refrain]

3 I love to tell the story,
   'Tis pleasant to repeat
   What seems, each time I tell it,
   More wonderfully sweet.
   I love to tell the story,
   For some have never heard
   The message of salvation
   From God's own holy Word. [Refrain]

4 I love to tell the story,
   For those who know it best
   Seem hungering and thirsting
   To hear it like the rest.
   And when, in scenes of glory,
   I sing the new, new song,
   'Twill be the old, old story,
   That I have loved so long.
                         Katherine Hankey
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

No comments: