Monday, February 05, 2024

How sweet the name of Jesus sounds

347 Holy Cross. C. M.

1 How sweet the name of Jesus sounds
   In a believer's ear!
   It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds,
   And drives away his fear.

2 It makes the wounded spirit whole,
   And calms the troubled breast;
   'Tis manna to the hungry soul,
   And to the weary, rest.

3 Weak is the effort of my heart,
   And cold my warmest thought;
   But when I see thee as thou art,
   I'll praise thee as I ought.

4 Till then, I would thy love proclaim,
   With every fleeting breath;
   And may the music of thy name
   Refresh my soul in death.
                         John Newton
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
Hymnary.org inserts a verse after verse 2:

3 By him, my pray'rs acceptance gain,
   Although with sin defil'd;
   Satan accuses me in vain,
   And I am own'd a child.
</idle musing>

No comments: