Saturday, February 10, 2024

The King of love my shepherd is

353 Dominus regit me. 8. 7. 8. 7.

1. The King of love my shepherd is,
   whose goodness faileth never.
   I nothing lack if I am his,
   and he is mine forever.

2. Where streams of living water flow,
   my ransomed soul he leadeth;
   and where the verdant pastures grow,
   with food celestial feedeth.

3. Perverse and foolish, oft I strayed,
   but yet in love he sought me;
   and on his shoulder gently laid,
   and home, rejoicing, brought me.

4. In death's dark vale I fear no ill,
   with thee, dear Lord, beside me;
   thy rod and staff my comfort still,
   thy cross before to guide me.

5. And so through all the length of days,
   thy goodness faileth never;
   Good Shepherd, may I sing thy praise
   within thy house forever.
                         Henry W. Baker
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
Interestingly, the United Methodist hymnal from 1989 adds a verse after verse 4:

5. Thou spreadst a table in my sight;
   thy unction grace bestoweth;
   and oh, what transport of delight
   from thy pure chalice floweth!
</idle musing>

No comments: