Friday, February 02, 2024

My God, my strength, my hope

343 Richmond. S. M. D.

1 My God, my strength, my hope,
   On Thee I cast my care,
   With humble confidence look up,
   And know Thou hear’st my prayer.
   Give me on Thee to wait,
   Till I can all things do;
   On Thee, almighty to create,
   Almighty to renew.

2 I want a sober mind,
   A self-renouncing will,
   That tramples down and casts behind
   The baits of pleasing ill;
   A soul inured to pain,
   To hardship, grief, and loss,
   Bold to take up, firm to sustain,
   The consecrated cross.

3 I want a godly fear,
   A quick-discerning eye,
   That looks to Thee when sin is near,
   And bids the tempter fly;
   A spirit still prepared,
   And armed with jealous care,
   Forever standing on its guard,
   And watching unto prayer.

4 I want a true regard,
   A single, steady aim,
   Unmoved by threatening or reward,
   To Thee and Thy great name;
   This blessing above all,
   Always to pray, I want:
   Out of the deep on Thee to call,
   And never, never faint.
                         Charles Wesley
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
As usual, cyberhymnal has another verse:

5 I rest upon Thy word;
   The promise is for me;
   My succor and salvation, Lord,
   Shall surely come from Thee;
   But let me still abide,
   Nor from my hope remove,
   Till Thou my patient spirit guide
   Into Thy perfect love.
</idle musing>

No comments: