Wednesday, October 09, 2024

Lead, Kindly Light

272 Lead, Kindly Light

1 Lead, kindly Light, amid th'encircling gloom,
   Lead Thou me on!
   The night is dark, and I am far from home;
   Lead Thou me on!
   Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see
   The distant scene; one step enough for me.

2 I was not ever thus, nor prayed that Thou
   Shouldst lead me on;
   I loved to choose and see my path; but now
   Lead Thou me on!
   I loved the garish day, and spite of fears,
   Pride ruled my will; remember not past years.

3 So long Thy power hath blessed me, sure it still
   Will lead me on
   O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till
   The night is gone;
   And with the morn those angel faces smile,
   Which I have loved long since and lost awhile!
                         John Henry Newman
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1964 edition

No comments: