Sunday, October 13, 2024

Lord Jesus, Think on Me

284 Lord Jesus, Think on Me

1. Lord Jesus, think on me
   And purge away my sin;
   From earthborn passions set me free
   And make me pure within.

2. Lord Jesus, think on me,
   With care and woe oppressed;
   Let me Thy loving servant be
   And taste Thy promised rest.

3. Lord Jesus, think on me
   Amid the battle’s strife;
   In all my pain and misery
   Be Thou my Health and Life.

4. Lord Jesus, think on me
   Nor let me go astray;
   Through darkness and perplexity
   Point out your chosen way.

5. Lord Jesus, think on me
   That, when the flood is past,
   I may th’eternal brightness see
   And share Thy joy at last.

6. Lord Jesus, think on me
   That I may sing above
   To Father, Spirit, and to Thee
   The strains of praise and love.
                         Synesius of Cyrene c. 375–430
                         Trans. by Allen W. Chatfield
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1964 edition

<idle musing>
Not a very popular hymn, only occurring in a little over 100 hymnals. I don't recall ever singing it. Cyberhymnal inserts a verse:

5. Lord Jesus, think on me
   When floods the tempest high;
   When on doth rush the enemy,
   O Savior, be Thou nigh!
</idle musing>

No comments: