Monday, October 07, 2024

Open My Eyes That I May See

267 Open My Eyes That I May See

1 Open my eyes, that I may see
   Glimpses of truth Thou hast for me;
   Place in my hands the wonderful key
   That shall unclasp and set me free. Silently now I wait for Thee,
   Ready, my God, Thy will to see;
   Open my eyes, illumine me,Spirit divine!

2 Open my ears, that I may hear
   Voices of truth Thou sendest clear;
   And while the wave-notes fall on my ear,
   Everything false will disappear.
   Silently now I wait for Thee,
   Ready, my God, Thy will to see;
   Open my ears, illumine me,Spirit divine!

3 Open my mouth, and let me bear
   Gladly the warm truth everywhere;
   Open my heart, and let me prepare
   Love with Thy children thus to share.
   Silently now I wait for Thee,
   Ready, my God, Thy will to see;
   Open my heart, illumine me, Spirit divine!
                         Clara H. Scott
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1964 edition

<idle musing>
I was surprised at how few hymnals have this—less than 250. The author of the hymn, Clara Scott, also wrote the tune. According to hymnary.org, there is a fourth verse, which I had never heard before:

4 Open my mind, that I may read
   More of thy love in word and deed;
   What shall I fear while yet thou dost lead?
   Only the light from thee I plead.
   Silently now I wait for thee,
   Ready, my God, thy will to see;
   Open my mind, illumine me, Spirit divine!
</idle musing>

No comments: