Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Preserving the presence

Today, we get the third observation from the first section of Leviticus in Boda's A Severe Mercy:

Third, the need for purification of the sanctuary and its altars shows that sin endangered the community's relationship with their God. The Creator of the universe, the covenant God who had spoken with such power from Sinai, was the same God who had descended in Exodus 40 into the tabernacle at the center of their camp. The people were shown on a regular basis that they should not take their sin lightly, lest this God abandon a defiled and unworthy tabernacle.—A Severe Mercy, page 76

<idle musing>
A good reminder to us all! Again, I'm struck by the continuity between the covenants...
</idle musing>

3 comments:

That's my 2 cents! said...

I'm always struck by the way God deals with sin as a communal problem. The sin of one Hebrew could bring calamity to the whole community. We've lost this sense of communal responsibility in the Church. "I am my brother's keeper." This is a loss of tragic proportions.

Lonnie

jps said...

Lonnie,

Did you read today's post on my computer before I posted it!? That's the theme of today's thought. : )

James

That's my 2 cents! said...

No actually I had no idea, but of course the Holy Spirit knew. When I read this post I was struck with the thought about sin as a communal problem. The Holy Spirit often does this with me. I don't know why, its just the way he works in my life.