Sunday, November 05, 2023

Depth of mercy!

200 Seymour. 7. 7. 7. 7.

1 Depth of mercy! Can there be
   mercy still reserved for me?
   Can my God His wrath forbear?
   me, the chief of sinners, spare?

2 I have long withstood His grace,
   long provoked Him to His face;
   would not hearken to His calls,
   grieved Him by a thousand falls.

3 I my Master have denied;
   I afresh have crucified,
   oft profaned His hallowed name,
   put Him to an open shame.

4 There for me the Savior stands,
   shows His wounds and spreads His hands.
   God is love! I know, I feel;
   Jesus weeps, but loves me still!
                         Charles Wesley
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
Hymnary.org adds a fifth verse:

5 Now incline me to repent,
   let me now my fall lament;
   now my foul revolt deplore!
   weep, believe, and sin no more.
Classic Wesleyan doctrine in that verse; I'm surprised the Methodist hymnal excised it.
</idle musing>

No comments: