Thursday, November 16, 2023

Not because I hope for heaven thereby

214 Molleson. C. M.

1 My God, I love thee; not because
   I hope for heaven thereby,
   nor yet because who love thee not
   are lost eternally.

2 Thou, O my Jesus, thou didst me
   upon the cross embrace;
   for me didst bear the nails and spear,
   and manifold disgrace;

3 Then why, O blessèd Jesu Christ,
   should I not love thee well?
   Not for the sake of winning heaven,
   nor of escaping hell;

4 Not with the hope of gaining aught,
   not seeking a reward;
   but as thyself hast lovèd me,
   O ever-loving Lord.

5 So would I love thee, dearest Lord,
   and in thy praise will sing;
   solely because thou art my God,
   and my most loving King.
                         Anonymous. From the Latin
                         Tr. by Edward Caswall
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
According to hymnary.org, this is sometimes attributed to Francis Xavier, one of the nine original Jesuits. They also insert a third verse:

3 And griefs and torments numberless,
   and sweat of agony;
   yea, death itself — and all for me
   who was thine enemy.
And, they say that the United Methodist Supplement adds two more:
(A) 5. So would I love thee, dearest Lord,
   and in thy praise will sing;
   because thou art my loving God
   and my eternal King.

(B) 4. God, through the Spirit we shall know
   if thou within us shine,
   and sound, with all thy saints below,
   the depths of love divine.

</idle musing>

No comments: