Monday, November 20, 2023

Jesus, Thy boundless love to me

222 Yoakley. 8. 8. 8. 8. 8. 8.

1 Jesus, Thy boundless love to me,
   no thought can reach, no tongue declare;
   O knit my thankful heart to Thee,
   and reign without a rival there.
   Thine wholly, Thine alone, I am;
   be Thou my Rod and Staff and Guide.

2 O grant that nothing in my soul
   may dwell, but Thy pure love alone!
   O may Thy love possess my whole,
   my Joy, my Treasure, and my Crown.
   All coldness from my heart remove;
   my every act, word, thought, be love.

3 O Love, how cheering is thy ray!
   All pain before Thy presence flies;
   care, anguish, sorrow, melt away,
   where'er Thy healing beams arise.
   O Jesus, nothing may I see,
   nothing desire or seek, but Thee.

4 This love unwearied I pursue
   and dauntlessly to Thee aspire.
   O may Thy love my hope renew,
   burn in my soul like heav'nly fire.
   And day and night, be all my care
   to guard this sacred treasure there.
                         Paul Gerhardt
                         Tr. by John Wesley
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

No comments: