Wednesday, November 22, 2023

O Jesus, I have promised

226 Angel's Story. 7. 6. 7. 6. D.

1 O Jesus, I have promised
   to serve Thee to the end;
   be Thou forever near me,
   my Master and my Friend;
   I shall not fear the battle
   if Thou art by my side,
   nor wander from the pathway
   if Thou wilt be my Guide.

2 O let me feel Thee near me,
   the world is ever near;
   I see the sights that dazzle,
   the tempting sounds I hear;
   my foes are ever near me,
   around me and within;
   but, Jesus, draw Thou nearer,
   and shield my soul from sin.

3 O let me hear Thee speaking
   in accents clear and still,
   above the storms of passion,
   the murmurs of self-will;
   O speak to reassure me,
   to hasten or control!
   O speak, and make me listen,
   Thou Guardian of my soul!

4 O Jesus, Thou hast promised
   to all who follow Thee
   that where Thou art in glory
   there shall Thy servant be;
   and, Jesus, I have promised
   to serve Thee to the end;
   O give me grace to follow,
   my Master and my Friend!
                         John E. Bode
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

No comments: