Saturday, June 10, 2023

All-sufficient

917 1st P. M. 6 lines 8s.
Jesus all and in all.

THOU hidden Source of calm repose,
   Thou all-sufficient Love divine,
   My help and refuge from my foes,
   Secure I am while thou art mine:
   And lo! from sin, and grief, and shame,
   I hide me, Jesus, in thy name.

2 Thy mighty name salvation is,
   And keeps my happy soul above:
   Comfort it brings, and power, and peace,
   And joy, and everlasting love:
   To me, with thy great name, are given
   Pardon, and holiness, and heaven.

3 Jesus, my all in all thou art,
   My rest in toil, my ease in pain,
   The medicine of my broken heart;
   In war, my peace; in loss, my gain;
   My smile beneath the tyrant’s frown;
   In shame, my glory and my crown:

4 In want, my plentiful supply;
   In weakness, my almighty power;
   In bonds, my perfect liberty;
   My light, in Satan’s darkest hour;
   In grief, my joy unspeakable;
   My life in death, my all in all.
                        Charles Wesley
                        Methodist Episcopal hymnal (1870 edition)

No comments: