Wednesday, June 07, 2023

God, the all-sufficient portion

908 C. M.
God my all-sufficient portion.

MY God, my portion, and my love,
   My everlasting All,
   I ’ve none but thee in heaven above,
   Or on this earthly ball.

2 What empty things are all the skies,
   And this inferior clod!
   There’s nothing here deserves my joys,
   There’s nothing like my God.

3 To thee I owe my wealth, and friends,
   And health, and safe abode:
   Thanks to thy Name for meaner things;
   But they are not my God.

4 How vain a toy is glitt’ring wealth,
   If once compared to thee;
   Or what’s my safety, or my health,
   Or all my friends to me?

5 Were I possessor of the earth,
   And call’d the stars my own,
   Without thy graces and thyself,
   I were a wretch undone.

6 Let others stretch their arms like seas.
   And grasp in all the shore;
   Grant me the visits of thy grace,
   And I desire no more.
                         Isaac Watts
                         Methodist Episcopal hymnal (1870 edition)

No comments: