Thursday, January 18, 2024

God is my strong salvation

324 Aurelia. 7. 6. 7. 6. D.

1 God is my strong salvation;
   what foe have I to fear?
   In peril and temptation
   my light, my help, is near.
   Though hosts encamp around me,
   firm to the fight I stand;
   what terror can confound me,
   with God at my right hand?

2 Place on the Lord reliance;
   my soul, with courage wait;
   God's truth be thine affiance,
   when faint and desolate.
   God's might thy heart shall strengthen,
   God's love thy joy increase;
   mercy thy days shall lengthen;
   the Lord will give thee peace
                         James Montgomery
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
This little tidbit from his biography I find quite amusing:

In common with most poets and hymnwriters, Montgomery strongly objected to any correction or rearrangement of his compositions. At the same time he did not hesitate to alter, rearrange, and amend the productions of others.
Interestingly, The first Methodist hymnal, produced by John Wesley, contained a similar injunction about changing and rearranging the hymns—although John also didn't hesitate to do it to others hymns (including those of his brother, Charles)!
</idle musing>

No comments: