Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Jesus, Lover of my soul

338 Martyn. (first tune) 7. 7. 7. 7. D
      Hollingside. (second tune)
      Aberystwyth. (third tune)

1. Jesus, lover of my soul,
   let me to Thy bosom fly,
   While the nearer waters roll,
   while the tempest still is high.
   Hide me, O my Savior, hide,
   till the storm of life is past;
   Safe into the haven guide;
   O receive my soul at last.

2. Other refuge have I none,
   hangs my helpless soul on Thee;
   Leave, ah! leave me not alone,
   still support and comfort me.
   All my trust on Thee is stayed,
   all my help from Thee I bring;
   Cover my defenseless head
   with the shadow of Thy wing.

3. Thou, O Christ, art all I want,
   more than all in Thee I find;
   Raise the fallen, cheer the faint,
   heal the sick, and lead the blind.
   Just and holy is Thy name,
   I am all unrighteousness;
   False and full of sin I am;
   Thou art full of truth and grace.

4. Plenteous grace with Thee is found,
   grace to cover all my sin;
   Let the healing streams abound;
   make and keep me pure within.
   Thou of life the fountain art,
   freely let me take of Thee;
   Spring Thou up within my heart;
   rise to all eternity.
                         Charles Wesley
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
While this isn't my favorite Wesley hymn, it does seem to be one of his most popular ones, appearing in over 3100 hymnals! Cyberhymnal inserts a verse 3, which I wasn't familiar with:

3. Wilt Thou not regard my call?
   Wilt Thou not accept my prayer?
   Lo! I sink, I faint, I fall—
   Lo! on Thee I cast my care;
   Reach me out Thy gracious hand!
   While I of Thy strength receive,
   Hoping against hope I stand,
   dying, and behold, I live.
</idle musing>

No comments: