Monday, January 15, 2024

When by fear by heart is daunted

319 Tantum ergo. 8. 7. 8. 7. 8. 7.

1 When by fear my heart is daunted
   Thou dost hold me in Thy hand
   Prayerless, anxious, vainly haunted,
   Thou dost make my courage stand:
   Foolish worries, fretting troubles
   Melt away at Thy command

2 God, Thou art unfailing treasure,
   Refuge Thou, and faithful Friend;
   Thy resources none can measure,
   Naught Thy steadfastness can bend.
   Life and light and love immortal,
   Firmly we on Thee depend.

3 Held by love, to peace I win me,
   Confident what-e'er betide;
   Safe in hope, Thy spirit in me
   With th' eternal power I hide;
   Strength and health are mine, and valor—
   Bravely over care I ride.
                         Percy Dearmer
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
Well, this one is certainly rare, only occurring in four hymnals. And I can't seem to find the lyrics anywhere online, so I'm doing the world a favor by putting them here.
</idle musing>

No comments: