Friday, January 19, 2024

I look to Thee in every need

325 O Jesu. 8. 6. 8. 6. 8. 8.

1 I look to thee in every need,
   And never look in vain;
   I feel thy strong and tender love,
   And all is well again:
   The thought of thee is mightier far
   Than sin and pain and sorrow are.

2 Discouraged in the work of life,
   Disheartened by its load,
   Shamed by its failures or its fears,
   I sink beside the road;
   But let me only think of thee,
   And then new heart springs up in me.

3 Thy calmness bends serene above,
   My restlessness to still;
   Around me flows thy quickening life,
   To nerve my faltering will:
   Thy presence fills my solitude;
   Thy providence turns all to good.

4 Embosomed deep in thy dear love,
   Held in thy law, I stand;
   Thy hand in all things I behold,
   And all things in thy hand;
   Thou leadest me by unsought ways,
   And turn'st my mourning into praise.
                         Samuel Longfellow
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
Not a very popular hymn, only occurring in 101 hymnals. I don't recall ever singing it, but it has an nice upbeat trust to it that I like.

By the way, this Longfellow is the brother of the more famous Longfellow the poet.
</idle musing>

No comments: