Friday, January 26, 2024

My Lord how full of sweet content

334 Hamburg. L. M.

1. My Lord, how full of sweet content;
   I pass my years of banishment!
   Where’er I dwell, I dwell with Thee,
   In Heaven, in earth, or on the sea.

2. To me remains nor place nor time;
   My country is in every clime;
   I can be calm and free from care
   On any shore, since God is there.

3. While place we seek, or place we shun
   The soul finds happiness in none;
   But with a God to guide our way,
   ’Tis equal joy, to go or stay.

4. Could I be cast where Thou are not,
   That were indeed a dreadful lot:
   But regions none remote I call,
   Secure of finding God in all.
                         Madame Guyon
                         Translated by William Cowper
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
I didn't realize the Madame Guyon had written any hymns or that they were translated into English, let alone by the great hymnwriter William Cowper! It's not a very popular hymn, only occurring in abour 40 hymnals.

If you aren't familiar with Madame Guyon, you should take the time to familiarize yourself with her. She was a French mystic whose writings were (and still are) very influential.
</idle musing>

No comments: