Monday, January 22, 2024

I worship Thee, most gracious God

328 Abergele. C. M.

1 I worship Thee, most gracious God,
   And all Thy ways adore;
   And every day I live, I seem
   To love Thee more and more.

2 When obstacles and trials seem
   Like prison walls to be,
   I do the little I can do,
   And leave the rest to Thee.

3 I have no cares, O blessed Will,
   For all my cares are Thine;
   I live in triumph, Lord, for Thou
   Hast made Thy triumphs mine.

4 He always wins who sides with God;
   To him no chance is lost;
   God’s will is sweetest to him when
   It triumphs at his cost.

5 Ill that He blesses is our good,
   And unblest good is ill;
   And all is right that seems most wrong,
   If it be His sweet will.
                         Frederick W. Faber
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
Well, I'm continuing on my winning streak of choosing hymns that are not very well known or popular. This one only occurs in thirteen hymnals! I think that's the lowest of any I've seen yet, but given my record, I suspect it's not going to be the lowest!

Nevertheless, even though I don't recall singing it, it has some good theology—maybe popularity isn't everything : )

Just as
</idle musing>

No comments: