Thursday, January 04, 2024

I want a principle within

299 Gerald. C. M. D.

1. I want a principle within
   of watchful, godly fear,
   a sensibility of sin,
   a pain to feel it near.
   I want the first approach to feel
   of pride or wrong desire,
   to catch the wandering of my will,
   and quench the kindling fire.

2. From thee that I no more may stray,
   no more thy goodness grieve,
   grant me the filial awe, I pray,
   the tender conscience give.
   Quick as the apple of an eye,
   O God, my conscience make;
   awake my soul when sin is nigh,
   and keep it still awake.

3. Almighty God of truth and love,
   to me thy power impart;
   the mountain from my soul remove,
   the hardness from my heart.
   O may the least omission pain
   my reawakened soul,
   and drive me to that blood again,
   which makes the wounded whole.
                         Charles Wesley
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

No comments: