Thursday, January 25, 2024

No, not despairingly come I to thee

333 Kedron. 6. 4. 6. 4. 6. 6. 4.

1 No, not despairingly
   come I to Thee;
   no, not distrustingly
   bend I the knee;
   sin hath gone over me,
   yet is this still my plea,
   Jesus hath died.

2 Ah! Mine iniquity
   crimson has been,
   infinite, infinite,
   sin upon sin;
   sin of not loving Thee,
   sin of not trusting Thee,
   infinite sin.

3 Lord, I confess to Thee
   sadly my sin;
   all I am, tell to Thee,
   all I have been;
   purge Thou my sin away,
   wash Thou my soul this day;
   Lord, make me clean.

4 Faithful and just art Thou,
   forgiving all;
   loving and kind art Thou
   when poor ones call;
   Lord, let the cleansing blood,
   blood of the Lamb of God,
   pass o'er my soul.

5 Then all is peace and light
   this soul within;
   thus shall I walk with Thee,
   the loved Unseen;
   leaning on Thee, my God,
   guided along the road,
   nothing between.
                         Horatius Bonar
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

No comments: