Wednesday, August 07, 2024

Arise, my soul, arise

122 Arise, my soul, arise

1 Arise, my soul, arise,
   shake off your guilty fears;
   the bleeding Sacrifice
   in my behalf appears.
   Before the throne my Surety stands,
   before the throne my Surety stands;
   my name is written on his hands,

2 He ever lives above,
   for me to intercede,
   his all-redeeming love,
   his precious blood to plead.
   His blood atoned for ev'ry race,
   his blood atoned for ev'ry race,
   and sprinkles now the throne of grace,

3 Five bleeding wounds he bears,
   received on Calvary;
   they pour effectual prayers,
   they strongly plead for me.
   "Forgive him, O forgive," they cry,
   "forgive him, O forgive," they cry,
   "nor let that ransomed sinner die!"

4 The Father hears him pray,
   His dear anointed one;
   He cannot turn away
   The presence of his Son:
   His spirit answers to the blood,
   His spirit answers to the blood,
   And tells me I am born of God.

5 My God is reconciled;
   his pard'ning voice I hear.
   He owns me for his child,
   I can no longer fear.
   with confidence I now draw nigh,
   with confidence I now draw nigh,
   and "Father, Abba, Father!" cry.
                         Charles Wesley
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1964 edition

No comments: