Monday, August 26, 2024

O Master, Let Me Walk with Thee

170 O Master, Let Me Walk with Thee

1 O Master, let me walk with thee
   In lowly paths of service free;
   Tell me thy secret, help me bear
   The strain of toil, the fret of care.

2 Help me the slow of heart to move
   By some clear, winning word of love;
   Teach me the wayward feet to stay,
   And guide them in the homeward way.

3 Teach me thy patience; still with thee
   In closer, dearer company,
   In work that keeps faith sweet and strong,
   In trust that triumphs over wrong.

4 In hope that sends a shining ray
   Far down the future's broad'ning way,
   In peace that only thou canst give,
   With thee, O Master, let me live.
                         Washington Gladden
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1964 edition

<idle musing>
The author seems to have been a bit of a fireball; take a look at the brief bio linked above. Cyberhymnal inserts two verses:

3. O Master, let me walk with Thee,
   Before the taunting Pharisee;
   Help me to bear the sting of spite,
   The hate of men who hide Thy light.

4. The sore distrust of souls sincere
   Who cannot read Thy judgments clear,
   The dullness of the multitude,
   Who dimly guess that Thou art good.

</idle musing>

No comments: