Sunday, August 25, 2024

Just as I Am, Thine Own to Be

169 Just as I Am, Thine Own to Be

1 Just as I am, Thine own to be,
   Friend of the young, who lovest me,
   To consecrate myself to Thee,
   O Jesus Christ, I come.

2 In the glad morning of my day,
   My life to give, my vows to pay,
   With no reserve and no delay,
   With all my heart I come.

3 I would live ever in the light,
   I would work ever for the right,
   I would serve Thee with all my might;
   Therefore, to Thee I come.

4 Just as I am, young, strong and free,
   To be the best that I can be
   For truth, and righteousness, and Thee,
   Lord of my life, I come.
                         Marianne Hearn
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1964 edition

<idle musing>
No, not that Just as I Am! Hymnary.org adds two verses:

4 With many dreams of fame and gold,
   Success and joy to make me bold;
   But dearer still my faith to hold,
   For my whole life, I come.

5 And for thy sake to win renown,
   And then to take my victor’s crown,
   And at thy feet to cast it down,
   O Master, Lord, I come.

</idle musing>

No comments: